Walgreens to leave Anthem Blue Cross Network on December 31, 2011. What does this mean for you?
In October, we wrote to you about contract talks between Express Scripts, the company that manages the drug store network for us, and Walgreens. We’re writing today with an update so that you have the very latest information affecting your coverage. Despite ongoing talks, it appears the two parties won’t reach an agreement before the end of the year. Walgreens will leave the network on January 1, 2012. Walgreens’ sister stores (such as Duane Reade, OptionCare and Happy Harry’s) will also leave at that time. You’ll still be able to use any of the other 56,000 network drug stores across the country. There are many chains (such as CVS, Rite Aid, Kroger, Target and Wal‐Mart), plus local, independent stores. On average, there’s a network store within a half mile of a Walgreens. Sometimes, even closer. Please take action to transfer your prescriptions
The New Year will be here soon. So please take some time NOW – before life gets too hectic around the holidays – to transfer your prescription to a different store in the network. Go to our website at anthem.com and use the ”Find a Doctor” feature to find a network drug store near you. Or call us at the number on the back of your member ID card.
Switching to a new drug store is easy After picking a new drug store, either:
1. Take your medicine bottle to your new drug store. They’ll call the old one to transfer it for you. OR
2. Call the new store and ask them to call the old one. OR
3. Ask your doctor to call your new drug store with your prescription details.
Some things you should know
• You can still receive coverage for your medicine from Walgreens and its sister stores through December 31, 2011.
• In most cases, your cost will not change because of Walgreens leaving the network.
• If your plan offers out‐of network benefits and you use Walgreens after December 31, 2011, you’ll have to pay the full retail price. You’ll need to send in a claim yourself. Also, benefits will be lower than if you use a network drug store. If you have any questions, please call the customer service number on your member ID card.